Are my hens roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lorraine Perth, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Lorraine Perth

Lorraine Perth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    I bought these two hens last week and no eggs as yet. Are they roosters or just to young to lay? How old do you think they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The top one looks like a young pullet - probably not old enough yet to lay. The bottom one is either a laying hen or a young cockerel - I can't see the photo well enough to tell if there is development of saddle or hackle feathers.

There is a settling in period whenever a chook is moved from one home to another. Sometimes they will stop laying for several weeks until they adapt to their new surroundings so even if they are both laying hens, it may be some time before they are ready to lay for you.

3. Lorraine Perth

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    After reading someones thread on hackles and saddle feathers I have had a good look at her and I think she's a she. Unless of course she starts to crow! I will be wait a little longer for the eggs and just enjoy them. Very hot here in Perth Western Australia at the moment so enjoyed the advice on the site on keeping the girls cool. Thanks for a great website and the support, I'm new to looking after chooks so will find it a great resource.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hens

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi there, I am also in Perth. Another scorcher today! Those birds look like isa browns or hi line browns, where did you get them from?

6. Lorraine Perth

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    A place in Baldivis I got them on Gumtree

7. Lorraine Perth

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    Thanks

8. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Both are hens, expect an egg from the one on the bottom soon!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They look to be classic sex link hens. The bottom one should start laying in the next few weeks, the top one isn't close to laying at all. I'd guess each of them around 4ish months, they just develop differently.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Look like all hens to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by