are my hens too young to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skscott, Jun 21, 2011.

1. skscott

skscott New Egg

Mar 11, 2011
    My hens are 4 months old and we have got one egg yesterday and one today but they are small. Will they get bigger as the hens get older or do they need something extra. They free range every day plus get greens from the garden and some fruit. They love grapes.

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    It sounds like they're just getting started. It can be patchy at first, and the eggs do get bigger! They'll all get there in their own time, some sooner than others. Look out for them 'squatting' when you reach out to them - a sure sign they're ready to lay!

You don't mention feeding them a layer pellet or mash. The rest sounds great, but they really need specific layer food available to them too.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    little "pullet eggs" are normal, they will get bigger as the girls get older [​IMG]

4. skscott

skscott New Egg

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes they do get pellets. But it says not to give layer until they are 18 weeks. Also have 10 week old chicks. They are all together will it hurt if the 10 week ones eat the layer?

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    If your using starter/grower or flock raiser, thats fine for all but you might want to give free choice oyster shell for the ones that are laying.Dont worry about the ones who are not laying they will not be bothered with the shell.
    The eggs will get bigger ,more frequent and more will be laying!!!! Its all new to them ,takes a little while for them to get up and running.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by