Are my kids holding the fuzzy butts too much?

Navi723

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Bethany, Oklahoma
That about sums it up. We received 27 chicks from McMurray Hatchery yesterday and my little girls have gone nutso wanting to hold the babies constantly. Is this a problem for the babies?

I was quite relieved to see they made it through the night. I had no reason to think they might not, but still...
Thanks everyone!

Kim

I had a party when my chicks were a couple days old. The brooder was in my bedroom which is where I had the party. The girls that were there were holding chicks ALL night. All the chicks were out of te brooder being held. 2 were dead the next day. There was also loud music and constant screeming. So as long as they are gental, you will be fine.
smile.png

I would recommend close supervision. You do not want your kids walking up to you with a limp chicken. Trust me! It is the worst feeling to watch your kid realize they have accidentally loved a baby chicken to death.
hit.gif
Lots of crying and screaming happens. 0 fun.

First, if your children are 5-9 years old then I would tell them that Baby chickens are very Fragile, and they must be very careful with them. I would tell them that they can only play/hold the baby chicks while you are there.

After (at least) three days of close supervision, then I would slowly allow more and more contact with the baby chicks. At least until they have gotten used to the new environment.
Good luck
thumbsup.gif

My girls are 10, 8 and 6. Also a 3 yo that doesn't care much about the chicks. They've all been really careful, I'm just particularly concerned about one chick, the rare (I think she's a Silver Spangled Hamburg) that came with the 26 Buff Orpingtons. She sticks out like a sore thumb with all the little goldies, so the girls love on her the most. I told them they needed to leave her alone for a while and hold the others. They're all really careful, I'm not sure if just the constant contact is a problem.

Kim

IMO, yes. Chicks should not be held constantly, or used as a toy. That is not to say a cuddle is off limits. But the chicks need down time and rest. Squirmy chicks can be hurt very easily, even by the gentlest hands. Just being picked up, moved, passed from hands to hands is a stress on wee chicks.

That said, I have a house full of children- 12 and under- and many, many chicks through the years.

Thank you! Okay, now I have "professional" opinions I can use to back me up. I've got 27 chicks and only three girls wanting to hold them. They should have plenty of cuddle time without stressing any one chick too much. Except the rare, and I'll put a limit on how often they can hold her. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom