Are my leghorns just ....weird?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MOChickenz, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    My ex-battery hens won't free range. I finally got 5/30 to go outside today, and then when it got dark I had to search for two of them. They didn't go back in the coop!

Any suggestions to ease the transition for them?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Give them time. They'll figure out how wonderful free-ranging is and then you'll have a hard time getting them to come in any time before dusk. As far as your lost hens go- I'm at a loss. I have no idea why they wouldn't go home. How long have you had them? Have they had enough time to realize where "home" is?

3. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    They have been with us for close to three weeks. They won't lay in the nest boxes we built. They act completely unchicken-like! [​IMG]

I actually had to pour calcium on the floor yesterday to get them to eat it. Their eggs are very fragile and have terribly thin shells, and they appear to be too dumb to take it free choice out of a feeder I have in the coop. Not sure how well this is gong to go.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mo, when I was a kid, I got a battery hen that never laid an egg all the time I had her (probably 6 mos.). She was just as you describe. After I had enough and decided she would never change, I butchered her. She was FULL of eggs and would have layed within a week. I suggest getting a mature rooster to show them the ropes. Any breed will do as long as he is mature and an all around kinda guy. Should be easy to come by............Pop

5. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I have some ex battery hens, and they were strange, skittish and awkward at first, but I think it helps if you have other chickens, kind of to show them how chickens are suppose to act. I think once a few of them catch on they all will. Just encourage them with treats and time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by