are my mallard ducklings sick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jayk117, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jayk117

jayk117 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    I have 10 mallard ducklings that are about a week old. i was holding them today and i noticed that 2 of them had clear mucus in there mouth and one of them even had some hanging out of its mouth. i dont know if this is normal or they are sick. all i know is that i have raised alot of ducklings and have never seen it before so please help.

thanks

2. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    It doesnt sound normal..I dont know what it is,,But dont sound right..I have 6 babies running around right now..Mallard 2 weeks old and they are very active...

3. jayk117

jayk117 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    well i dont know if its because they hatched afew days late or what. they act very active and healthy but today when i picked them up for the first time since the day they hatched i noticed that two of them had mucus in there mouth and it worried me, ill see what happens

4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    My ducklings had runny noses off and on for their first week and it scared me. Turned out they just needed a place to dip their beaks all the way in and blow their noses. They were the first ducks I've owned so I didn't know.

I hope your ducklings are ok! Hopefully it will just clear up on its own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by