Are my MPC BRs all pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kargo, Sep 13, 2009.

1. kargo

kargo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    I know that they are difficult to sex at this age, (they are just six days old.) but I heard that Barred Rock sexing is easy at this age because of the head spots. Someone told me that one looked a bit like a roo when I posted pics. of them after I got them. I just took pictures of all of them, and I want you to see what you think. I ordered 2 of the BRs (along with some others) and I got three. I was told MPC did not send male packing peanuts, so it'd be a shame if this little extra ended up being a male.

BR 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BR 2:
    This is my little friend. She is my favorite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BR 3:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Usually the hens have less white on their heads as roos. I going to pm speckledhen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  3. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Yeah. It seems like all of my chickens are hard to sex. xP I have a Leghorn that people are confused about now, too.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Barred Rock number three looks like the only girl, judging from head spots.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

#1 is a cockerel, for sure

#2 is probably a cockerel, but do the legs have lots of black down the front or no? The down color is pretty black, which usually indicates a pullet. My Lexie had that type headspot, but was lighter than yours. Not really sure on that one. The headspot is very large, but pretty defined, too.

#3 is a pullet, for sure.

6. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Quote:Really? We ordered all pullets. It'd be really sad if we got 2 cockerels, or any for that matter. The legs don't have a lot of black down on the second one.

7. speckledhen

Well, I dont think they did very well on sexing, whoever did it. The first one is certainly a little roo-baby. Most of the time, with hatchery BRs especially, lots of dark down the leg fronts indicates a pullet (when taken with the head spot and the down color). It holds true for mine and they are a few generations removed from the hatchery.

Look at this article with pictures. It's about Doms, but the same rules apply.
    http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

8. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Well, that sure is dissapointing.[​IMG] I think the article pretty much reinforces everything said here.

9. speckledhen

Just remember that in about 10% of the cases, the chickie didn't real his breed manual and will have confusing characteristics, like my Lexie, who looked every bit the cockerel till almost three months old. Hopefully, you have one of those. [​IMG]

10. kargo

May 8, 2009
    Quote:That would be really nice. I have a WLH who is about laying age and is just as confusing as these little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by