1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Are my "pullet" Barred Rock's roos (and 1 B.O.)???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1stTimeChikMama, Oct 7, 2012.

1. 1stTimeChikMama

1stTimeChikMama Chirping

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    There are my 4 "pullets" that we part of an ordered of 13 that were supposed to all be females... of course. But I read how they are supposed to look and I'm already worried even though they are just 2 weeks old. I'm sure it's too early but I'd love any opinions!!! These pictures were taken outside so they are a little washed out but they are not much darker inside either :/

Group Shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barred Rock #1 (Darkest legs out of all 3 and was darkest when they were smaller)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barred Rock #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barred Rock #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buff Orpington (the only one with a comb already and it's starting to get pink on the back)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANKS!!!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That BO is a boy IMO. Aside from the comb you describe, look at those thick legs! As for the BRs... they all appear to be the same sex. I agree, based on normal descriptions, the head dot is male looking but the legs are girly looking. They seem kinda light in color... hmmmm.

3. RoxyBird

RoxyBird Chirping

Sep 5, 2012
    I wouldn't worry. I agree on them all looking like they are the same sex. Also, I haven't seen any BR roos who were already getting feathers on the shoulders (between the wings) at just 2 weeks of age. Maybe 3+ weeks... My BR girls all had wacky spots. These look just like my current pullets did at 2 weeks.

Re: the BO... I agree about the legs, but that's an awful lot of feather growth at 2 weeks for a boy (see under and over the wings). I have less experience with BO's though! :)

4. 1stTimeChikMama

1stTimeChikMama Chirping

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    New Pictures of the Barred Rocks! They are now 5 weeks old. I do want to explain that I can't really go off of their combs as some were dubbed before I got them and others were not. SO I can't really compare combs to each other. Which is a bit more than frustrating! But any updated opinions would be wonderful! Thanks everyone!!!

Chick #1 This one had the smallest spot on the head and has always had the darkest legs out of the 3. This one has no waddle growth like the other 2.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mmktdox

mmktdox Chirping

In my humble opinion, they are all pullets . . . and they are super cute !!

6. RoxyBird

RoxyBird Chirping

Sep 5, 2012
  7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they look like pullets...do 2 and 3 have a single comb like one or do they have rose combs? if they have rose combs then they are doms instead of barred rocks

8. 1stTimeChikMama

1stTimeChikMama Chirping

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    YAY! And thank you [​IMG] That picture was REALLY helpful too! I can't believe how white those little boys look!

And number 2 & 3 don't have combs. Those two were dubbed before I got them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by