Are my pulleys laying eggs?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TroyerGal, Jun 24, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Who wants to play detective with me?! Soooo... My pullets are about... 14 weeks old. I have a bunch of different breeds of chickens. Recently, we have noticed some eggs being laid on the ground in the coop, i ALSO noticed that there were some Brahma, Gold sex link, and Ausralorp feathers in the makeshift "nests" on the ground. if these were NOT the pullets, why in the world would my nice, already laying hennies start laying on the ground when they have clean, big nesting boxes to do it in instead???

Thanks Y'all! ~Troyergal

P.S i do NOT have any other breeds of already laying hens except Red sex links [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

when my pullets started laying all of them were laying in one nest in the corner of the coop which was all fine and dandy since it was in one spot but they kept burying the eggs under stray as the scratched which i found out while cleaning the coop. they finally started laying in the boxes when i started to put a fake egg in the box, you can also just put keep a real egg in the box and just switch it out every once in a while

3. TroyerGal

Is 14ish weeks too early?? Also, their eggs are not particularly smallm.

4. Poultry parent

that is pretty early to start laying. and not all hens first eggs are small my chickens first eggs were fairly big

5. Poultry parent

you could confine the pullets to a different area and see if they lay

6. TroyerGal

That's a good idea... but, i have like, 24 pullets plus 15 hens and 3 roos :) so i don't think that will work too well

7. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I don't know about yours, but my pulley just laid one.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. Poultry parent

would it be possible for you to confine just one or two pullets to see?

9. Poultry parent

if that's not possible you can examine their vent (gross i know but it does work) and if the vent seems shrunken and dry they are not laying if it's moist and large then they are if you can't tell you can look at the vents of your layers and compare

10. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by