Are my RIR "girls" boys?

Im suspecious that the green tailed is a roo.

The other one, I would go pullet because her tail feathers are more rounder, not pointed and less black in it.

Thanks for all the replies, Everyone!  :)  Keep 'em coming!

Nicole01, unfortunately I don't know how old they are.  I've had them for 6 weeks.  So they are (x + 6) weeks.  Not helpful, I know.  How old do they look to you in the first photo?

Sounds like the best case scenario would be that they're Production Red hens.  So I'm going to hope for that! 

If they are roosters, though, will they make black sex link babies with my Barred Rock hens?  Is that only RIR's?  Or will Production and New Hampshire Reds do that, too?

Yes, the male chicks will have a white spot on head (like a barred chick), and the females won't. They would black sexlinks (barred males).

Port Orchard, Washington, calling... I'm a senior and never had chickens and want to instead of buying store eggs, so visited the local Farm Store who have a lot of baby Rhode Island Reds for sale.
Our city rule is a maximum of 5 birds and NO crowing cockerals (driving neighbors nuts!)
I understand that RIR's are friendly and good LARGE egg layers.
I'm prepared to do what ever it takes to look after them; house/feed them etc. We have a couple of friendly cats. Am I in for trouble?

Port Orchard, Washington, calling... I'm a senior and never had chickens and want to instead of buying store eggs, so visited the local Farm Store who have a lot of baby Rhode Island Reds for sale.
Our city rule is a maximum of 5 birds and NO crowing cockerals (driving neighbors nuts!)
I understand that RIR's are friendly and good LARGE egg layers.
I'm prepared to do what ever it takes to look after them; house/feed them etc. We have a couple of friendly cats. Am I in for trouble?
Rhode Island Reds are great first chickens! Did the store say they were females? If so then they probably are, the hatcheries places like that buy from, use a very effective way of sexing (vent sexing), only once in a while will the "hen" will end up a rooster, but not very often, so you should be good!

Last edited:
A week later, some more pictures. They are now 7 weeks older than however old they were when I got them. (See first post for a day 1 picture.) I'm still worried...

Oh no! I see saddle feathers, especially the first picture. You have a roo or two in there. Sorry.:(

Back
Top Bottom