Are my roos too aggressive to keep?

RollingForkMeadows

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
Minnesota
We have two roos almost 5 months old. They are buddies and roost together, seem to get along. Barely fight and it's not aggressive really. 9 pullets hang out with them. They have a large indoor pen in a barn and can roam out in a large run. We also free range them daily.

Well I guess the hormones are kicking in.
Out of nowhere, one of them started flogging my six year old son. He just stood there shocked. I ran over and kicked at the roo, but he didn't let up. I yelled at my son to get away, then run, and the roo chased us to the door, ignoring my attempts to kick him away. I was angry and wanted to give him away but I am too wimpy to kill him. Since I told my son to stay away from him after that (while we are hurrying to find him a new home) everything seemed fine.
Then we were all out walking around the property and the same roo came at my son. My husband was on him so quick, had his neck down on the ground with his boot, I thought he was history. My husband was waiting to hear back from someone at work to see if they'd take him, so he let him up and of course the tough little feathered brat was only embarrassed, not injured.
It's snowing here, but my son of course wants to play outside and I don't relish the idea of a roo or two running our homestead.

Should I put him on Craigslist (free)?
I'm not into spending the loving time with him rehabilitating him, unfortunately.
Then we were working in the barn a few days later. My son was out riding his bike, and we hear screaming... look out and see my son running across the field with the OTHER roo running after him. But just chasing him, not jumping up with flapping wings or claws.
Like I said, I'm a wimp. I actually got attached to the roo ("Butterscotch") that we witnessed chasing my son in the yard.
Now I'm even hesitant to be around them.

Would it help to just find a home for the seemingly more aggressive roo, and give the other a chance to see how he behaves, or should we just get rid of both as soon as possible?

Will the hens become more aggressive if there are no roosters around?

One roo appears to be a Partridge Rock/ Rhode Island Red mix. He is beautiful.
And my heart belongs to ... Butterscotch, the one I thought was a tame sweetheart .... He is a Buff Orpington, perhaps mixed with RI Red.

I'm a big proponent of training roosters before they ever get the idea of attacking people. Once they've started after children, especially with such determination, I'd be afraid to have them around.

So in your situation, I would get rid of the roosters someplace. I've heard of hens taking the roosters' place - don't know if that's universal.

If you get more roosters, start training them the instant you realize their sex. Walk at them briskly and make them give way. Wave things at them to make them keep back, with the object of training them to stay 3 feet away from humans. If you see them "walking funny" at you or a nearby hen, walk at them and back them up.

Teach the kids to do the same things, under supervision. Don't let them chase or kick the roosters. You don't want excitement, but calm superiority.

If it were me, I'd get rid of them both asap. A mean rooster has no place on my farm. I don't want to have to watch my back and be afraid of him, and I don't want him passing that on to his chicks. Your roos will only get meaner if you don't use vigorous training. The way I figure it is there are many roosters deserving a good home, so why keep the bad ones? Just my two cents...

Quote:
I read no more of your post. I know what I'm going to say. Been there, done that.

Get rid of him now- it only gets worse. We had to put our roo that drew blood on my youngest son (then later tried to kill me as I did not have a stick handy) down.

Edited- ok, read the rest- yeah those guys aren't trustworthy! Boot 'em!

Oh, and I make my youngest son wear sunglasses around the chickens when he's going to hold them, even now.

Last edited:
Well if you were close to me, I would give you a free Roo....and they are very shy and stay away from anyone entering the coop.

Since you don't have the time to rehabilitate and train them, I think getting rid of them is the best thing you can do. A large rooster is very dangerous to a small child. Those spurs can cost a trip to the emergency room for stitches or worse on a 6 year old.

Until you find some takers, they NEED to be locked up.

In the off chance you're in the Seattle area, I'll be happy to pick them up and take them for you. Just be forewarned, I use roosters for the dinner table.

And keep the roosters and the child separate until you get rid of them.

No mean roos allowed here.

I confused about the wisdom of "gentling" ornery roos. Some people say to cull them because you don't want their (male) ofspring to be nasty like them. Others say you can gentle a roo, and then I'm guessing he is alright to breed???? If "ornery" is in his genes &, you teach him to behave-he would still pass on the "meaness."On the other hand IF he can be gentled and produce gentle roos, then it isn't a genetic trait. Duh? My brain is spinning.

Back
Top Bottom