Are my roost okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newchickey, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Newchickey

Newchickey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Wondering if this is a good set up?

The side pic is actually better than straight on, as the height difference in my roost is only about 6 inches, I decided not to have battles for the highest point and so far so good. In fact more roost on the front one than the back. The back one is about 42" up and the front 36", They use the angle branch to walk up to the roost.

This is only there 4th night in the coop, last night they put themselves all to bed before 8. The first night 9 roosted, 11 on the ground, 2nd night 16 roosted, 4 on the ground and of those four my two silkie bantams and at 6 weeks one is only about 4" tall, the other is twice as big, a fluffy lavender orptington that is just a chicken...lol in all things and didnt want to go up high, and my roo! He stayed with the girls that were scared! awww. Last night they were all headed up to the roost when I went in, including my tiny silkie. I was worried about her up there all night. I stayed while she got settled, and she can fly. But she is so little.

But wondering about the set up. On the back wall I want to do nest boxes like these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Looks nice but it depends on where you live. If it gets cold, the roosts may not be big enough for the birds to be able to cover their toes and could get frostbitten.
    Chickens aren't really perching birds like tree birds. A wide flat roost a minimum of 2" wide works better. If it doesn't get cold, your setup can work fine.

3. Newchickey

Newchickey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    I live in North West Nebraska, so yes it gets cold. the majority of the two roosting branches is 3-3 1/2" diameter only the very far end has a bit that is 2" but none of it is less than 2" the are about 7-8" around. They arent roosting anywhere but those two horizontal big branches.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The test is to walk in the coop at night when it's cold out. If their toes are visible they can't cover them with their feathers. That's where the flat roost comes into play.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by