Are my silkies boys or girs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicknduck, Dec 31, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Here they are
    I was told this was a boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #3 and #4
    [​IMG]
    I have heard no crowing and none have laid eggs (that I know of) at 27 weeks? Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated.
    I will try to get bgger images.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Can you get closer pics? Especially pics of their combs? The buff does look roo-ish, but I can't be sure of anything on the other two.

3. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:I will get better pics tomorrow. The one buff has a small red comb and wattles can be seen. Do all silkies have blue ears? Male and female?

4. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:I will get better pics tomorrow. The one buff has a small red comb and wattles can be seen. Do all silkies have blue ears? Male and female?

Yes they do, both sexes.

5. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio

Yes they do, both sexes.

Thanks, that info gives me hope that the white ones might be girls. . I am still new to this. I appriciate you answering my questions.

6. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

It is kind of hard to tell to me

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The buff looks like a roo to me. The white silkie on the right looks like a pullet in that pic. I can't tell about the one on the left.

As always, with silkies though, until they lay or crow it is just a guess. [​IMG]

8. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:I have not heard any crows but the 2 buff I think are roos. They look identical. I just thought at 27 weeks the pullets would be laying. I do think the whites are girls.

9. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:I have not heard any crows but the 2 buff I think are roos. They look identical. I just thought at 27 weeks the pullets would be laying. I do think the whites are girls.

Silkies can take up to a year before they lay an egg. They take their good old time. Most of them start around 7-9 months, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by