Are my Silkies Male or Female??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by neesey, Feb 20, 2012.

1. neesey

neesey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    Heya I am new to keeping chickens. I got two silkies 3 months ago there now about 4 months old. We asked for both to be female and we were aware that its very hard to sex chicks. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out as to whether our silkies are male or female. I am so sorry but my terms and descriptions will probably be awful as I still have not caught up on chicken lingo (",)

One of the silkies is smaller than the other not hugely but you would definately notice it.The smaller ones feet are much smaller than the others. Also the bigger one has developed quiet a large blackish comb?? on his/her head. The smaller one doesn't appear to have this. I'm not sure as to whether they all have this or not to be honest as in many of the photos on google images they are all super fluffy and its hard to see their heads :)

My info is very bitty I know but hopefully you will be able to see by the attached photos.

Boo Bear is the Bigger one and he/she is in the 1st, 2nd and 4th photos
    Miss Henny Penny is the smaller one and he/she is in the 3rd photo.

I may have to change their names though eek :)

Thanks a million.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the 1st is deffently a cockerel the 2nd its hard to tell but looks like a pullet

3. neesey

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    aw noooo. lol. Oh well. Thanks a million for you response really appreciate it. Yeah its very hard to get a good photo of miss henny penny lol.

4. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky
    Looks like you have one of each. I'd like to see a side view, full body shot of each though.

5. neesey

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    My photography leaves alot to be desired ha. This is the best I have at the moment

First photo henny penny is in the back and boo bear to the front

Second photo is Boo Bear

Third is Henny Penny.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I don't have a lot of experience, but I agree that Boo Bear is a cockerel and Henny Penny is a pullet.

7. neesey

Oct 4, 2011
    Ireland
    Thanks a million (",)

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes one of each and it looks like you have a beared (cockerel) and a non-beared (pullet) unless i am just not seeing herm beard

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I believe you have a pair.

10. Jamjamcat105

Jamjamcat105 New Egg

Sep 2, 2012
    Hello, I recently bought two silkie chicks they are now 10 weeks old and I can't tell if they are roosters or not, I cannot have a rooster so if it was male I would have to sell it (wish I could have a roo:/) :( anyway I want to know now what the chances are for a roo so I can tell at the first signs.These are my first chicks and so far it has been amazing any help would be greatly appreciated.

One one my chicks partridge colour (atilla the hen)is slightly bigger has a Poofier chest and a shorter neck she seems a lot braver at times as my smaller White silkie(mopatop) has a longer neck and bigger pompom on her head, behaviour wise the mopatop follows tilla but they normally like to stay together mopatop doesn't enjoy being handled whereas once you catch tilla she sits still for you (she we think is most likely to be a boy but we don't think shes big enough)!
    Any help would be great thank you.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by