Are my Silkies ready to be outside?

silkiemama3

Hatching
Feb 16, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and at owning chickens, I have recently adopted 4 Silkie chicks and love them so much. I got the first pair, Hazel and Peck, 8 weeks ago at a couple days old and the second pair, Pearl and Snow, 4 weeks ago at a couple days old as well. They are currently all residing in my laundry room in their fancy little box with lamp and all and getting along just fine. They have really bonded with each other and huddle to sleep and hang together all day. However, the older pair is clearly ready for more space at this point.
We live in Wilmington, NC and recently, the temperatures are acting crazy. It will drop into the low 40s at night and still reach high 60s-low70s during the day. Soon it will be hot outside all day and night and temperature will no longer be a concern. The chicks enjoy it when I take them outside to stretch their legs. That being said, here is my question: Do I go ahead and put the older pair outside in their coop and then 3 weeks later add the younger pair OR do I wait until the younger pair is ready to be outside and put all 4 outside at the same time. Also what temperatures should I be concerned with? And if such temperatures are reached, do I take them in for the night? Putting a lamp in the coop isn't really an option with our setup.

I look forward to hearing your advice and input! Thanks Y'all!!

Silkiemama3

Right but do I wait to put them outside all together or do I separate them and put the older 2 out while keeping the 2 younger ones in? The 4 of them are pretty bonded despite their age difference.

Back
Top Bottom