1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my Silkies show quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chippy99th, Jan 8, 2017.

1. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Hi, I was wondering what quality my silkies are in terms of showing. I didn't get them with showing in mind, but they are such beautiful birds I think it would be fun to show them off!

I got them at a feed store and I'm pretty sure they are hatchery birds. They are currently 3 months old. They have 5 toes on each foot, all blue-black skin & combs with turquoise earlobes. Their feathers are all fluffy with some ragged wing feathers and a few ragged tail feathers. Legs are very feathery as you can see. The white one has a pea comb and the buff one has a single comb, which I understand is a flaw. They have full beards, crests & muffs.

I'm pretty sure the white one, Sugar, is a cockerel and the buff, Spice, is a pullet. Spice is a bit jittery whereas Sugar is quite calm, so if I end up showing one (probably won't, but you never know) it will probably be him. I am also thinking about volunteering with him as a "therapy chicken," since he's so cuddly and friendly!

Here is Sugar:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And Spice:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Close-up headshots:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And bums! (Spice is not that much smaller than Sugar, she just looks a lot shorter because she's crouching.)
    [​IMG]

They're still growing into new feathers all the time, so Sugar's muff is a little small this week and Spice is looking kinda patchy.They're still handling teenagerdom more gracefully than I did though.[​IMG] So what do you think?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can't view pics

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't view the pics either.

Hatchery Silkies are rarely good enough to show, but they make wonderful pets (and therapy chickens[​IMG]). Also Silkies are supposed to have Walnut combs. Single and pea combs are considered faults.

4. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Oops, sorry about the pics! I'll try it differently.

I think it is a walnut comb, not a pea comb. Sorry about that. :)

Sugar:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Spice:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Faces:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Bums:

[​IMG]

Thanks for letting me know that wasn't working! Hopefully that works.

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    The pics worked!

The white one (Sugar) looks like he has some potential. But they are in the lanky teenage phase so I would wait until they are fully feathered and evaluate them then. [​IMG]

6. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Dang it, I was afraid you were going to say that! To wait, I mean. Thanks for responding, and I'm glad the pictures worked. Apparently I still have some things to learn about this website. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by