Are my Silver Spangled Hamburg Roos worth Showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Magnolia86, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Magnolia86

Magnolia86 In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Gainesville, FL
    Hi, I have a couple of SSH roos and only need one. Both are 3 months old and have been free ranging, so they are pretty dirty right now. I would eventually really like to get into showing this breed, but am still learning what to look for. I may upload pics of my hens later on.

Are either of these two worth showing? Also, does anyone know of any good websites or books that is informative on showing this breed? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Roo 1 on Left.
    [​IMG]

Roo1
    [​IMG]

Roo 1
    [​IMG]

Roo 1
    [​IMG]

Roo 1
    [​IMG]

Roo 2 on Left
    [​IMG]

Roo 2

[​IMG]

Roo 2
    [​IMG]

Roo 2
    [​IMG]

Roo 2
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    From what I can see, neither one of them has an disqualifications, so that at least is good. Otherwise, they both have pretty good type (body structure) and combs. In my opinion, roo 1 is better. Roo 2 has too much spangling on his back and breast to be considered good show quality.

3. Magnolia86

Oct 2, 2012
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks! What about the markings on the wings and tail feathers though? Which one do u think is better than the other as far as that goes?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome! From what I can tell, roo 1 has slightly better markings on his tail and wings. But the again, I am neither a judge nor a breeder, just a person who shows chickens and happens to know a little about most breeds. Also, (although this is impossible) I could tell which was better more easily if I handled the birds instead of looking at photos.

5. Magnolia86

Oct 2, 2012
    Gainesville, FL
    Bump!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by