Are my Soon-To-Hatch chicks in Danger????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by basketballndl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    So i've been reading on cannibalism and i'm pretty sure thats the problem in my coop right now.*** My broody is sitting on eggs that will hatch in 3 days. Simce Cannibalism is the problem will the other chickens eat the chicks? Or peck them to death???

HELP!!!

*** I know Casnnibalism is the problem because the head rooster (Silver Gray Dorking) Alvin has had his feathers pecked out of him to the point where he is blood around the base of his tail feathers. He has literally 1 and 1/2 tails feather(s) left. they are torturing the poor guy. I plan on slapping some blue kote on there later tonight but i've also noticed it in a few of my other hens, but not this severe.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have had hens with chicks in the pen with roosters and other hens with no problems at all but I'm sure each situation is different. If think you are going to have a problem then I would say better be safe then sorry and move them as soon as you can.

3. basketballndl

Aug 9, 2010
    We'll see how it goes. i may have to move them.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I know this is a little off topic but it may help the situation any way. Could you do a search on feather pecking to see what may be causing this? It sounds somewhat extreme to me (I am just a newbie though). If you can figure out why they are doing it you may solve your problem about the chicks as well.

5. basketballndl

Aug 9, 2010
    it is extreme and its a new thing too. i don't know whats gotten into them.

i will google feather pecking. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by