Are my temps ok? Please help, I am freaking out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Staciaw755, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Staciaw755

Staciaw755 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    N. Idaho
    Hello, so I have 30 eggs in the incubator. It is in my laundry room that is off the back of my house. It took me awhile to get the temp to stay at 101 but I got it there and set 30 eggs. Well the next day I checked and temp was bouncing from 98-103 on top of the eggs. We then had a cold spell and I was having a hard time keeping it above 100 so I put a heater in the room and it was staying right at 101.5 BUt now it seems to be bouncing from 100.3-102.8 and even with 1 h2o try full humidity is 35%. It my temps stay in this range is it ok? What about humidity?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    First of all at the top of the eggs - you're right to measure there in a still air.
    High temp is more harmful than cool.
    You can move it to a more stable ambient temp - like a closet.
    You can also wrap the outside with towels, etc. for more insulation.
    Make sure none of the vent holes on bottom or top are blocked because they need oxygen.

3. Staciaw755

Staciaw755 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    N. Idaho
    hi, they are chicken eggs. Silkie and BLRW. I have them in A cabinet that I hung towels on all sides. It is a still air LG. Is it ok to keep it at these temps or is it harmful to chicks if temps bounce around?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    First, I would be concerned but tell you to relax.
    You can only do what you can do.
    Secondly, as the air temp fluctuates the mass of the egg temp stays fairly constant.
    Just keep shooting for 101 at the top of the egg and you'll be fine as long as the swings aren't too severe or long lived.

In a cabinet you should have room to install a fan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by