Are my turkeys ready to go outside?

briana1975

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Carleton Mi.
You all had such great advice when I got these 2 turkeys and now I am hoping for more. They are going on 5 weeks old. We will have electricty in the coop so I can keep a light in there. We are in southeast Michigan so the weather is wacky. Yesterday and today lows in the 30's highs in the low 70's. Who know what next weeks weather will bring. I would not be putting them in the yard just in the coop. They are almost completley feathered. So what do you guys think.

The next question I have is about housing them with the chickens. I will be keeping them together. I know the risks. I have been told blackhead is rare in our area. The problem is in 3 weeks when the chickens are ready for the coop also, am I gonna have a problem intergrating them in with these big turkeys? Should I put a temp. divider in the coop with chicken wire till they get used to each other? They have been broodered seperate because of age differance and size.

Then comes final question. I hope to get a couple BR poults at end of the month. Can I just go ahead and put them with the chicks right away. The chicks will go out to coop a couple weeks after poults come. Will the early intro help when they are toghther again in the coop later? Or will they not even remember each other, and back to a temp wall of chicken wire?

You all had such great advice when I got these 2 turkeys and now I am hoping for more. They are going on 5 weeks old. We will have electricty in the coop so I can keep a light in there. We are in southeast Michigan so the weather is wacky. Yesterday and today lows in the 30's highs in the low 70's. Who know what next weeks weather will bring. I would not be putting them in the yard just in the coop. They are almost completley feathered. So what do you guys think.

You could take them out for the day if you wish, then brought back in for the night. They should stay in a brooder for 8-10 weeks. The cold snap at night will kill them maybe not all but some.​

They should fine in the coop just make sure you keep an eye on the weather and give them heat if needed.

For the divider it really depends on how they react to each other - put them together on a day where you can keep an eye on them. It's almost impossible to tell what will happen with putting them together. At a young age we haven't had much trouble moving them around and mixing. When they get older they get more picky on what comes in their area. and are more likely to chase them.

Quote:
We have 6 to 8 week olds out in our brooder barn now and it got down to mid 30's last night, they just had a 100 watt light bulb for heat and were all snug on the roost this morning when I checked on them.

Make sure they know where the heat is and can get under it if needed. A 250 watt heat lamp puts off alot of heat.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom