Are My Turkeys Sick?

CYGChickies

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I have three turkey poults that are between six and eight weeks old. They are active and seem healthy except for one thing. Their poop is loose about 90% of the time. I've seen a few formed poops but that's it. The loose poop is tan--not yellow--and sometimes has white in it. I haven't seen blood but did see some flecks of stomach lining. They seem healthy but it has been very hot in Missouri. Their poop has been like this since I purchased them 2-3 weeks ago. Is it normal or is this a sign of something wrong?

CYG

I'm feeding them Purina Startena game feed. The stomach lining has only been a one or two time thing, little flecks of pink/red in the poop. There's a list of normal chicken poop on the web and the shed stomach lining poop pic looks like what my turkeys have had--except for the loose stool. They've been with me almost a month and they've had no change in behavior and this poop has been the same since I brought them home.

The poop thread: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

CYG

I don't really know, but I would think if it looks among the range of normal from the 'poop link', it's probably ok. Maybe they're drinking more b/c of the heat and this is causing the looser stools?
I've given my poults a little fan, and I think that helps them a lot.
Maybe someone with more experience will pipe up.

Last edited:
Add Apple Cider Vinegar with "the mother" to their water (about a tablespoon to every gallon). That will help their digestive system stay strong and should improve the poop.

They've been three-four feet off the ground in a rabbit hutch that has never been occupied by a bird or any other animal. It has been HOT so hot here. I will try the apple cider vinegar in the water and they are drinking a lot of water due to the heat. What is "the mother" referring to? Coccidia--which some rabbits I bought died of the day I bought them--is a constant worry for me since that. They don't have ruffled feathers. They are glossy and have plenty of energy and curiosity about bugs and sounds and everything outside. I thought if they had Cocci they probably wouldn't survive for three weeks as young as they are/were. I give them frozen 2-liter bottles changing the bottle about three-four times a day. Their water bottle is changed and cleaned as often or more if needed.

Thank you all for the advice it is comforting to hear the theories of others!

CYG

Just search on ACV (apple cider vinegar - unpasteurized) plenty of theory.

Like I said, if they are otherwise fit, I'd not worry. Just keep an eye on the poop
smile.png

However, prophylactic `worming' might not be a bad idea.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom