Are my two cochins boys or girls? I'm torn!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by huckleberryfarm, May 17, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    My first hatch ever produced these little beauties! I have 5 LF Cochins. Two have dark red combs and wattles and have already started crowing. They are all 13 weeks old. I have one that has no comb or wattles at all. These two have combs and wattles but they are lighter and neither has crowed. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    Butterscotch, my frizzled Cochin

[​IMG]
    Mr. Fancy Pants

[​IMG]
    A side view of Mr. Fancy Pants

Butterscotch acts more like a hen. Mr. Fancy Pants is just a curious chicken which is how he got his name.

Girls or boys??? Thanks!

2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    I would just have to wait to know for sure because I don't know the tell signs like a Cochin person would.
    Sooner or later you will or will not get an egg. And eventually the boys get friendly with the girls, if you have girls.

Here's a bump, hope it helps.

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Both boys

4. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    I'm sorry but both of those look kinda rooish to me [​IMG] They are gorgeous though!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, they both look like boys.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I would say roos, my hens combs did not get that big till they started laying at 6 months

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    If one had to be a hen, I would think it was the first one. The second one is definitely a roo.

8. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Well, I guess Mr. Fancy Pants is staying a Mister! Since his siblings crow nonstop, I figure these two will start if they are in fact roos. My children will absolutely kill me if I have to rehome these. Hopefully they'll all get along somehow. And I obviously need some more hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by