Are nesting boxes necessary?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NicInNC, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    We don't have individual nesting boxes. Just the enclosed coop filled with shavings and a bar for them to roost on. Are separate nesting boxes necessary?

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    If you don't mind them laying willey Nilley you don't have to have them, but they sure want them.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    NO they are not, but if your hens feel like laying and there are no boxes that are comfy to do so. They will lay anywhere they please

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    If the hens don't have nesting boxes they will lay eggs on the floor of the coop or outside, and then they get wet and covered with poo, and then they get stepped on and kicked around...[​IMG]

So yes, nesting boxes are a must!

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Ever hunt easter eggs? Everyday?

6. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

Ok. I'll be sure to add some nesting boxes! How many do I need with 4 chickens?

BTW...our banties are 8 months old now. Any idea when they may start to lay? It's still really cold here.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I have one with 6 chickens and they all use it. When I first put it in there , they all laid in a different spot in the straw... made their own nest, then they all used their nest. Then it
    got rainy and the nest box stayed nicer than the straw on the floor and they started using that. I would say only one for 4 hens. My 6 do fine with it.

Nancy

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    1 box per 3 hens is what I have....

9. 4biddies

4biddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    NH
    I have four hens that share a communal nest box. They don't mind sharing. It's wider than the standard size, but the same depth...as long as it feels secure they'll use it. They just prefer a darker quiet spot that's kind of seperate from the rest.

10. denimangle

denimangle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Butler Texas
    I Have 2 for 5 but they only use 1
    Cheryl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by