Are non-bearded Silkies rare?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Dec 15, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I just happened to get a black non-bearded Silkie, but noticed that almost no one has non-beardeds! Anyone else have them? I may be wanting a mate for mine when I find out what the gender is.

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    They are not rare. I know a breeder who raises and shows nonbearded silkies. Bearded is just my preference, so I don't breed the other variety. Sometimes the bearded ones will throw a nonbearded. It must be a recessive gene

3. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I was just curious, because I went to the Oklahoma State Poultry Show and there was only one non-bearded there. I guess most just prefer the bearded. They are cute [​IMG]

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I was gonna say that I think most silkie people out there prefer the bearded. I like the non-bearded myself.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have the non bearded. not rare. Kentuckysilkies has both I think

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I personally prefer the bearded ones. My first Silkies were a Christmas gift 6 years ago. The gift included one non-bearded hen. In the second year I removed all the non-bearded ones (except the gift hen - I would not set her eggs, but kept her until she passed last fall) and have concentrated on improving the bearded trait in my flock.

The trait is an incomplete dominance issue. Crossing bearded to non-bearded will produce chicks with smaller beards.

7. silkies4ever

silkies4ever Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I have 4 non bearded silkies [​IMG]

I guess I'm the odd one out here because I prefer the nonbeardeds.

Although maybe that's just because none of my silkies are show quality, so the small crest looks better on a non bearded. I've seen pics of bearded show quality silkies and I loved the way they looked.

Also, Kentuckysilkies, you seem to know your stuff so I have a quick question for you.

Can 2 bearded silkies produce non bearded chicks? I have 4 silkie chicks that I managed to breed and I don't know which of the two hens they belong to. The rooster was bearded, one hen was bearded and the other hen was non bearded. 3 of the babies ended up being non bearded and only one bearded.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Just as common as beardeds. People tend to prefer beardeds because it gives them a more full appearance and cute chubby cheeks. That's my reasoning, anyway XD

9. silkiegoldfish

silkiegoldfish Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2017

I have a question but does she sell hatching eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by