1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are ocellated x domestic turkeys sterile or fertile?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by onthespot, Sep 6, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    just wondering if they make "mules" like muscovy and domestic ducks.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  3. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    Fascinating. I was surprised to hear that this cross even was possible. Since they appear to be fertile theoretically it may be possible to produce a stable hybrid line with many of the characteristics of the Ocellated. They are such beautiful birds, particularly the plumage that this might be a worthy project. With hunting pressure, limited geographic distribution and habitat destruction and the known difficulty in captive breeding of full Ocellated turkeys this may be a good way to provide a source of feathers and perhaps take a little pressure off the full blooded population. Again very interesting.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Wow, thanks for that answer! I wonder what viability you get with the little hen poults... If mostly the males survive, you would keep breeding toward wild US turkeys and lose the colors over a few generations. I guess you better get a girl occ x too if a person was going to go for it. I'm not going to go for it. Too much of a challenge for me right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by