1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Old Brown Layer Hens good to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afarrington2, Jul 26, 2012.

1. afarrington2

afarrington2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    I was just wondering if they are because i have some old hens who are not laying anymore. I was just curious whether they have a good quality meat to eat?

2. rayado

rayado Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    moultrie ga
    i think they do and that its better because they are fatter and have more meat

3. afarrington2

Jul 22, 2012
    I thought they didn't have alot of meat? Just feathers?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Laying hens don't have a lot of meat on them, and older birds tend to be tough, true.

BUT, I have yet to run into a cut of meat that doesn't taste like heaven after a day in the crockpot. I believe you do need to let the meat 'rest' in the fridge for a few days after harvesting, however, to work out rigor mortis.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Google the phrase "stewing hen"

That's what spent layers are. Used to be common once upon a time. Let them 'rest' in the ice box for a few days then either cook them low, slow, with plenty of moisture or pressure cook them. Fantastic flavor if you know how to cook an old bird.

6. afarrington2

Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks for all of the help everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by