Are "Old English Game Chickens" agressive?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewcomerChicken, Feb 24, 2013.

1. NewcomerChicken

NewcomerChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Can you make them good pets and friendly to the other chickens if you raise them from babies, or will they still be mean and agressive?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you spend lots of time with them, it will calm them down.

I must say though, that most "game" breeds by their nature are more aggressive.

3. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Game chickens should never be, and generally are not, aggressive to people. Game birds are usually the tamest, most trustworthy fowl you could ever have around because the breeders of such have had a policy of ruthless culling of all man aggressive birds. Think of the problems a manfighting gamefowl could cause, it simply has never been tolerated. The nastiest chickens are typically the commercial egg strains, as no one gives any attention to their temperament at all. Gameness and aggression are 2 different things, and so is fighting humans vs other male fowl.
    Now, as to their attitude towards other fowl, a game chicken will not tolerate other males, PERIOD. It has nothing to do with how they are raised, it is innate, genetic, part of their make up. You won't undo thousands of years of selection by raising them any particular way. If they do tolerate other males, they are not "game". If you want this type of chicken but not the challenges in raising them, I'd suggest Cubalayas, Sumatras, Dutch Bantams, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by