1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are otters a threat to ducks in a lake?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dawnsglory, Jul 30, 2011.

1. dawnsglory

dawnsglory Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    I just saw 2 otters in our lake yesterday. They must have just moved in. I just wonder if they would catch and eat a duck. My muskovies haven't been in the lake yet but now I am worried they will be in danger. They are 2 months old so they are pretty bid now. I want to take them to visit the lake soon so what does anybody think?

[​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They might possibly be. They prefer fish, though.

3. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    if the fish population is not enough to sustain an otter they have been known to grab ducks by the feet while the duck is swimming and eat them.

4. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    If you've ever seen an otter up close and how big and sharp their teeth are, you will realize they definitely could and would eat a duck, especially if they sensed it was helpless, as in couldn't fly away.

5. dawnsglory

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    Great thanks for all the replies. Guess i will have to hold off on letting them out there. Maybe the otters will move along to somewhere else.

6. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one show up at my pond one day. The ducks were very loud and upset about it. At first I thought it was a gator. It had already grabbed something and at first I thought it was one of my ducks. Turned out it was a turtle - a really big turtle. I went after it with a stick (of all things). I was shocked when I saw how big it was. Probably close to the size of my golden ret., just not as tall.

I was already committed and continued to chase it with a stick like a mad woman. Haven't seen it since, but keep a watch for it. After seeing it getting the best of that big turtle, I have no doubt it could take a duck without any problems.

7. dawnsglory

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    Yes they are pretty big. They take all the gators out of our lake so I thought they would be safe and then the otters show up.

8. tigerluv700

tigerluv700 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Yes, definitely otters will hurt, mame, and even kill your ducks. I was just told by a family that lives on a lake in Florida that they have seen them tear up just about anything. Keep the ducks clear of the otters...mean dudes!

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    they are opportunists they are predators they do not care I have seen them try to eat snapping turtles its the gawd awfulist noise you will ever hear their teeth try to open a turtles shell

10. Gabe123

Gabe123 New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Yes otter will be a threat.Otters will chase them out of the pond or try to kill them if they get the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by