Are our rescue Silkies bantams?

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Yesterday I got a call from a friend whose neighbor had 3 illegal chickens in town. They kept escaping their very small pen and were being found in the road, so the owners wanted to rehome them. When I got there I found that they were Silkies! I was expecting mutts. I took them home and they are being quarantined. They look awfully small to me. Is this just the fact that they are Silkies? Or are they Bantams?

Here is a pic of Delilah after her foot bath. (They were pretty poopy when I picked them up.
sickbyc.gif
) She is next to a standard sized can of hair spray.

The owners said the girls were about 7 months old and all laying.

Can Silkies live with other chickens? Will they get along? We have 10 others, all large fowl-EE's Light Brahmas and Red Stars.

50603_silkie.jpg

My banty Silkies live with the rest of the flock without any problems. I think that they are often planning a take over of the flock, and are making plans on ruling the known world. I do know that they are extremely vocal about how things should be run around here.

Oh I didn't realize all of them were Bantams. It seems I saw some at the fair this year that looked larger than ours. Maybe ours just aren't full grown. They are sweet little things. Content to just hang out with people for quite some time. My other chickens are pretty skittish. They're so darn cute. Glad to hear they will eventually be able to live with the big kids.
smile.png

Quote:
Actually, not correct. Other countries have both large fowl and bantam silkies. Our silkies in the US are all bantams, and size-wise are in between their large fowl and bantam sizes found in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Even some of our US silkies are getting pretty large.

Quote:
That's how my silkies are! Diabolical little critters. It's really something to see a little silkie go after a meat bird that outweighs her by about.....8 lbs.
gig.gif

I've just been to the National Poultry show here in the Uk and I can tell you that not all silkies are bantams. There were some seriously large silkies at the show - and no way could they be described as bantam in size!

They had some little ones as well -which i would describe as bantam.

My Silkies all live together with my mixed flock I have both banties & standard size chickens of all breeds. My silkie Roo, now he was a PIG! He would go after the big girls. They kept putting him in his place tho. They will hopefully make nice. Mine still separate out at bed time tho. Silkie Snobs
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom