Are Peacock vocals are similar to a rooster's?

annarogetta

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Holden Massachusetts
Hi, I have a spalding that will be 2 by the summer of 2016. I'm already planning how to keep his voice down for when the time comes. My main plan is to have a tall fenced area for him away from the neighborhood to muffle/quiet his voice. I also heard of voice removal surgery. Which I do considered, but even now, I am just looking around for professional opinions on the matter.

My real question is are peacock's vocals like a rooster's, and if so, will the product "no crow rooster collar" be useable for peacocks as well. I don't know about peahens, but peacock is my main concern.
Just want to know if I could get some more professional and/or personal advice on the subject and if anyone knows or tried the no crow collar on their peas
ALSO!!! If you have any great methods to keep peafowl noises down during breeding season please do share!

Peacocks don't call like a rooster. They will call anytime during the day or night. Your signature says you have 1 peafowl, so if you just have one peacock then he might call a lot more than a peacock would call if he had a peahen. Peacocks will use their call to call in the peahens, and if you don't have any peahens your peacock might be noisy.

Before I even got peafowl we asked the nearby neighbors if they would be okay with the noise. No one objected to me getting peafowl. If one day someone did object, I would try to move my peafowl elsewhere where no one would complain.

I don't think it would be fair for the peacock to have his voice taken away or to wear a collar preventing him from making noise. Peahens don't make the loud calls that peacocks make. There are many varieties of peahens that are beautiful (blackshoulder, spalding, spalding blackshoulder, India Blue, silver pied, pied, etc) that you could keep instead of a peacock.

I would have the peacock's pen in an area that is the furthest away from neighbors. Also, I would have an indoor area you can close him in at night because people might really not like hearing a peacock call at night when they are trying to sleep. You can never be sure how much he will call though. But keeping him inside for the night could help lessen the noise.

I wouldn't get more peacocks that is for sure. 1 peacock is not bad for noise, but the more peacocks you have the noisier it will get.

Hi, I have a spalding that will be 2 by the summer of 2016. I'm already planning how to keep his voice down for when the time comes. My main plan is to have a tall fenced area for him away from the neighborhood to muffle/quiet his voice. I also heard of voice removal surgery. Which I do considered, but even now, I am just looking around for professional opinions on the matter.

My real question is are peacock's vocals like a rooster's, and if so, will the product "no crow rooster collar" be useable for peacocks as well. I don't know about peahens, but peacock is my main concern.
Just want to know if I could get some more professional and/or personal advice on the subject and if anyone knows or tried the no crow collar on their peas
ALSO!!! If you have any great methods to keep peafowl noises down during breeding season please do share!

Welcome to Pea country! Mine were calling some by age two, and by three, calling fairly loudly. The funniest one I have is one who is just turning three, and he sounds like a teen-aged boy with his voice changing. He hits the call, and then it breaks and he does a croaking bit for the second half. It's hilarious.

When peas really start yelling, you can easily hear them 1/2 mile away, so tall fence won't do that much. But you can certainly try the fence and landscaping to break up the sound. My impression is that they yell louder when there's no females handy, and also yell louder when they feel like they have to compete with other males. So you might do better to limit the number of males and make sure there's a hen or two so he doesn't feel like he needs to call some in. But other people may have had different experiences?

Calling is a part of their behavior. I personally wouldn't try de-voicing surgery on a pea any more than I would consider de-barking a dog. And having a voice saved one of my boys one day when he accidentally got loose and spooked. He was trying to find his way home, and the calling back and forth between him and the other birds got him back to within a couple of houses of where he lived. (With a little more time and less exhaustion, I think he'd have made it home on his own, but fortunately, we found him and he got a VIP ride home in a dog crate.)

Somebody just put up pictures of peas who had damage to their neck feathers from a rooster collar. That's another thing I wouldn't use myself. Watching what my boys do with their throats when they call, I can't think that the collar would be comfortable. They do some pretty wild neck moves. For me, if the noise is going to be so problematic that I have to resort to cutting vocal cords or half-strangling a bird.... I'll let the bird live somewhere that he can be the bird he is. Life is full of hard choices like that... we have to find what works for us.

I have had opposite experience. When we lived in the country and I had about 8 males and 8 females, they very seldom called, except if we drove in late at night or if we honked the horn, they would answer.

This last summer, all I had was one, my Petey, and he wouldn't shut up for anything! It was hilarious, every time my sis sneezed Petey would honk and call. All night and all day! Any little noise, and you could forget it if you were on the phone, all attention was Suposed to be centered on him!!! :lol:

Spaldings (50%) are not noisy ... they are almost mute .Your neighbors will take years before they know you have peacocks.:/

What % spalding? As Dany12 said if it is 50% or higher green you should not have a problem, I have several and they make very little noise compared to the blues.

To be honest I have no idea, I believe it is more than 50% of the green for him, (according to the breeder that does breed spalding a) I got him as well as two others in hopes of only have India blues only due towards their less aggression, but there was a mix up in the order so I now have a male spalding. My other two are now gone, one was too groggy from the trip and didn't make it, and the other was a beautiful purple peahen, I loved her dearly and so did my peacock, but a few months ago they were left outside, and they are usually good out at night, even though I make sure they always go in their pen, but that night, my peahen must have gotten spooked and flew from the high rafter they would usually stay up on at night outside, and got taken by a fox. I was so upset and my peacock was so distressed by it for days and so paranoid, I felt so bad for him.
I did think about getting a few chickens for company, since he now tries to protect my duck flock, I would get more peahens, but if chickens could do the trick that would be great since obtaining female chickens is easier than getting just female peafowl.

My advice is Don’t get those kinds of animals if you’re just going to torture(cut vocals/ shock) them for communicating

Back
Top Bottom