Are Peafowl eggs fertile this time of the year???

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Someone gave me 3 peafowl eggs about a week ago and I placed them under a broody hen. I was reading somewhere that during a certain time of the year (this time) that peacocks are not as fertile and that any eggs layed by a pea hen may not be fertile. The man that gave me the eggs has peacocks with the penhens and has had pea chicks to hatch in the past. Do you think these eggs are fertile at this time of the year? I have absolutely no experience with peafowl but always wanted some. Thanks for any input.

ETA: Forgot to add that he gave me the eggs free of charge because he didn't want his pea hens to set on any eggs and they were laying all over the place (on top of the barn, on top of his house, etc.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Highly Unlikely that they are fertile!!

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwwwwww. I'm sad. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for the information.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    It is unlikely they are fertile, but not impossible! Give them a few more days under the broody and then candle them. What do you have to lose. By then you should be able to see some veins developing. Good luck to you and I hope they hatch.

5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:Yup! Nothing to lose!!

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yup! Nothing to lose!!

Ok. Thanks for giving me a little ray of hope. I will do exactly as you have said. I will keep you posted. Cross my fingers. [​IMG]

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] for you.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    UPDATE:

The peafowl eggs were not fertile. [​IMG] My broody hen was sitting on 3 of them and over the last few days, the other hens were trying to get in the nesting box with her and they busted 2 of the eggs open and the eggs were rotten. The last egg in the nest was not fertile either. Well, I tried. [​IMG]

On the bright side of things. I picked up (2) 6 month old peafowl this weekend. Don't know if they are male or female. I drove 2 hours to get them. I will post some pics on another thread as soon as I take some pics this weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by