Are peanuts part of commercial chick food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jodiebay, Apr 16, 2012.

1. jodiebay

jodiebay Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Voorheesville, NY
    My peanut allergic 2yr old broke out with hives and I'm sure I didn't feed him any nut. But he did handle our chicks, and I'm sure I touched him after I was filling the feederso I wonder if there is peanut protein in the food. The ingredient list on the bag says plant by products, but nothing more specific. The customer service number is not open until the morning. He touched the food yesterday without any problems but had washed his hands right away. Today was more of a delay and to try to keep a 2yr old from sticking his hands or whatever in his mouth...well lets just say I wouldn't be surprised if he had ingested some chick food.
    Thanks

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sorry I can't help you, I've never heard of peanuts in chicken food but can't say for sure. I can check my labels in a bit, see if they say. Is he doing okay? Benadryl, etc? Poor baby--him AND you!

What brand of feed do you have?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Im guessing, No. BUt I dont know. Call the maker and ask.

4. jodiebay

Sep 10, 2011
    Voorheesville, NY
    Thank you for your response. Luckily it was only hives and he kept rubbing at his ears. Just kneededto give benadryl. I'm just trying to figure out the exposure - and the chicken feed is the only new thing I can think of in the house. The food we have is Southern States chick starter (from Agway) and when I went to their website I saw that they process peanuts as well and thought maybe they used it in the chicken feed as a filler or? . Or maybe just shared equipment. I don't like thinking that he put any in his mouth because that means bird poo probably made it there too. Yuck.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Didn't see any peanuts listed on my feed, but it's a local blend from my Grange. You could be right, it could just be the shared equipment.

Oh, and don't worry about a little chicken poo. Yeah, it's gross, but just consider it an immune system challenge! I believe an immune system that's challenged regularly won't be as likely to turn on you. It's my personal Border Collie Theory of Immunology lol.

6. jodiebay

Sep 10, 2011
    Voorheesville, NY
    I called the company this morning and they said several of their mills also process products containing peanut hulls and there is a chance that the feed is cross contaminated. The feed itself does not contain peanuts.
    I guess I'll have to tell him to stop stealing food from the chicks!
    Thanks to those that responded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by