Are pekins pets or meat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redneck4life27, Dec 3, 2012.

1. redneck4life27

redneck4life27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Northern ny
    That is the question I have 3 of them and you cant even get close to them with out them running away. Id like to hear how others are with there ducks. I hear theyre just for meat and i hear there pets. U tell me.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That depends on the person who owns them, I have Muscovy ducks which are considered a meat duck but to me they are my pets. Some of mine and I have 13 are friendly and some are stand offish but all will come when I bring out the treats. The best way to get a duck to like you and i don't mean picking it up and snuggling with it, but some on here can do that with their ducks, but just getting them to enjoy being with you and being close to you is to spend time with them just quietly sitting in their space and of course having a snack for them. Mine go bonkers for dried meal worms other use water melon ,greens, peas. So depending What you want out of your ducks is what is important, Pekins make awesome pets from all I heard about them and they always look like they are smiling to me, but others would say they make a good meat duck too. So really it is up to the individual person as to what he sees in his ducks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Both. Depends on what you are raising them for and how you interact.

They were originally meat birds because they grow quickly and finish out well because they are white.

If raised with alot of interaction, they are known to be some of the friendliest ducks.

If yours run away all the time I would say you need to go slowly, give plenty of treats and be patient. But, every duck is different and some may just not be as friendly as others.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    sitting in a chair with a can or bowl of feed and treats has always worked for winning over those birds who are not so sure of human contact. Now we trip over everyone.

5. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    I know people who do both. It is up to the individual owner. Mine are pets, and are quite friendly, but we have had them since they hatched in my living room. Mine are also there for egg production. While Pekin aren't as good of layers as some other breeds, they are still decent. I agree with the suggestions above if you want to build up trust. Most ducks aren't going to want to be "cuddled" or held, but many will follow their owners around when they are in the yard.

6. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    I keep mine as pets and for eggs. They are pretty good layers of extra large white eggs. I have a pond so they are mostly on it and they make the yard look "pretty". They will come for treats or "hang out" at the back door when they want treats. They follow me into the coop at night to get locked up.

7. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Both. As others have said- you get what you put in. For meat birds - they grow quickly and dress our cleanly. If you want them for pets they are very goofy, but you have to take the time to get them to that place where they see you as friendly face. Move among them slowly, always bring treats and go slow. Doing this for 3 days will not lend you instant results. Ducks make you work for it. And you have to keep up on it. If you don't use it, you lose it. Ours used to be awesome friendly, come up to us for treats, follow us around if we had peas...we stopped doing all that and now we are back to square one. But we are actually ok how things are- we have other birds to care for and enjoy being able to walk by them without incident. Moral...you want them friendly, if you have to be friendly and earn their friendship. :) But most ducks regardless of how sweet you are- are generally not lap cats.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't have Pekin any more but in my opinion, Pekin have the best personalities of all the ducks. They are clowns; no dignity there. They are also the most sociable.

They are the most efficient at producing meat and some strains of Pekin are excellent egg layers (not all strains are egg machines). They are good weeders and excellent bug catchers. I think that the pure white with blue eyes is gorgeous.

So, just about whatever you want to use them for.

9. Rocky Hill

Rocky Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    North Central Arkansas
    My Pekins were a little stand offish until i discovered they love grapes. get some grapes sit down near them for a few minutes everyday & feed them some, be sure you squeeze the grape to break the skin. be careful what you wish for....you just might get it. i can't go outside now without tripping over my ducks. cheers

10. glassgal

glassgal New Egg

Aug 16, 2012
    Michigan
    We keep ours for eggs and entertainment. They are so funny to watch! I suppose one day they might be dinner though. If you feed them, they will feed you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by