Are PELLETS less likely to attract bugs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Sometimes I get bags of feed that have an infestation of moths. There are thread-y bits of silk on the sides of the bags and within the feed. Bits of feed stick to these silky threads, making little chains of feed.

But I don't think I've ever had this occur in bags of pellets. It seems to happen only in bags of crumbles.

Has this been your experience too? If so, why do you think this is? I prefer pellets anyway, and this seems to be just one more good reason to stay with them. The only crumbled feed I buy is chick starter.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd be returning the bag and asking for some fresher, non-weevil infested feed. And looking for a feed store with higher turnover, as well.

Chick starter doesn't come in pellets that I know of. What you need is fresher feed.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't often find the moths in the bags, and when I do I certainly ask for a replacement. But I don't seem to remember ever finding the moths in the pellets, and wondered if others had the same experience. I know that chick starter only comes in crumbles, but I'm all the more convinced that pellets are best for layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by