Are Penedesencas nice birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rebecca10782, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Do the hens make good pets?

2. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    In my opinion, no. My black pair was insane and she laid four eggs in about a week and when I moved her to a breed pen she just stopped cold turkey and never laid another egg for two years. The crele hens layed much better but they were just as flighty. It was impossible to get a decent pic from any of them because they never stopped pacing the side of the pen farthest from where I was. And the rooster always rushed me and spurred the sole of my shoe every time I left the pen.

In the birds' defense though I will say this. As chicks and started birds they were coddled. As in they stayed completely apart from any of the other birds for fear they would catch something. Silly I know but when you've got a thousand dollars that could get sick you act silly. And when I lost the only black roo for no apparent reason I was nearly hysterical. They were never handled and were never moved until their breed pens were completed when they were about 6 1/2 months of age. During that time they lived in a tractor/coop by themselves. Their breed pens were also built a fair distance from my other breeders and so they were socially retarded. When they were finally put into their breed pens, the males fought incessantly through the wire until I put tin along the bottom two - three feet of the wire. So it probably isn't really the breed it was they way they grew up. Their enviroment and experiences molded the way they behaved. Imagine raising leghorns like that... [​IMG]

Basically I had them when they were the new 'it' bird and when day-old chicks were going for $100 bucks and I already had a waiting list when the birds were three months old, I wasn't taking any chances.

So if you want to try one or two go for it. They may make awesome pets. And if they don't at least you won't have a breeding flock of them... *sigh*

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    ok...#1chickndaddy, do you still have any creles?
    #2: i have 3 creles that i hatched out of ray valentine eggs that are now 5 weeks old. they already seem flightly, but every 5 week old chick I have does (marans, silkies, rocks, etc) I WANT very badly to work with them and try to make them a social bird, but EVERYTHING I have read says No, they're not. I got them b/c they are listed as HEAT tolerant which in SE Tx is SO important to me b/c everything is COLD tolerant and lets face it, Cold is seldom a problem here, atleast not one we can't knock out w/a few bales of hay for 2 mnths. I think the crele is a BEAUTIFUL color. SO...here we go! Oh and I *think* I have 3 girls so I'll be on the look out for a little boy soon.

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Sadly I do not. I don't know if anyone even still remember Critter Run or what happened to it. I worked/co-owned the hobby farm. And when the owners divorced, in a fit of complete irrationality the husband turned about 2000 birds out to free-range. He kept the more valuable birds like the Crele Pendesencas, the Blue-laced Red Wyandottes, and the Welsummers penned up for sure. Maybe a few others (Marans and Barnevelders)...the majority of the free-ranging birds were killed by wild dogs or sold off really cheaply to a few people who were interested. I am about 100% positive the Creles went to someone in Louisiana but that's all I remember. They drove over to Texas and picked up somewhere between 10-20 birds for about $100 I think. Not exactly sure on the number of birds or the amount of money. So you might be able to track them down if you know of anyone in Louisiana that has any...

If you want to know anything else feel free to PM me. [​IMG]

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I just got my hands on a couple young Penes, a pair of blacks and a partridge cockeral. They are only about 2 months old right now and haven't been handled much before.

They are not super flighty(they share my leghorns breeding pen and compared to the leggers they are very calm), they try to be as brave as my ameraucana cockeral of the same age but when my hand is like 2 inches far away from them their nerves can't handle it and they take off.
    They will eat out of my hand though.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    A friend of mine use to have a flock of Black and a flock of Crele. She got sick of them because everytime she walked into the coop, they would all freak out. She said the Crele were much worse than her Black for being flighty. She even told me "colorfully"(LOL) of how she walked in one day and two roosters freaked, hit a roost, and killed themselves, just like that.

She had her groundskeeper haul the Crele off the local auction and sell them for whatever he could get. She kept a pair of Black for a friend of hers and now she's looking to fill their coops with something else.

She did tell me of someone who took some of her flighty birds and turn them into pets. The person who turned them into pets put a coop right, smack in the middle of the yard in the middle of all the activity and carried the couple of birds around ALL day.

So if you really wanted to put the work into it, they could be descent pets, it would just be a lot of work. They will be extremely flighty unless you mess with them a lot and not just visits to the coop for eggs, food, and water.

-Kim

7. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    They have a reputation for being nervous, flighty, high-strung, excitable and neurotic. Depending on your temperament, they may or may not be a perfect match. [​IMG]

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I wanted some as free-ranging dark egg layers. I would watch my friend's bird panick in the coop and imagine what great free-rangers they would be. All that nervous energy would probably make them great for free-ranging and avoiding predators.

-Kim

9. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Completely inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by