Are people allowed to keep roosters like this??? (Georgia)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Granolamom, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    One of my neighbors down the street has recently aquired a bunch of roosters (about 5 or 6), that he keeps in this backyard. I assume that they will be used for fighting, even though I can't say for sure. The poor creatures are tied to a flock, they have no shelter, except 2 boards nailed to each other (like a mini A-frame, but with 2 open sides). Some of them have nothing at all, just the flock they're tied to. I have not been able to get close enough to see if they have food or water, but I was wondering if anyone here knows enough about Georgia ordinances, to tell me whether or not Animal Control would intervene, if called. These guys are definitely exposed to the elements, not to mention completely helpless, if any predator found them. And the weather forecast here predicts temps around 19F towards the end of the week.

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    What is a flock? I know gamebirds guys will tie roos out to a barrell and, though it may seem horrible, it is suitable shelter for the cocks and the tie prevents them from fighting eachother.

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Yep thats how they are usually kept to keep them seperated. The guy dow the road has a bunch hooked up just like that. Doesn't mean anything bad is going on, could just be he doesn't want them to fight each other so is only way to make sure they don't.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i know some that nail a board to a tree.. and the roosters enjoy it.. They'll only be used for fighting if they are gamecocks AND EVEN THEN ITS UNLIKELY. just because their kept that way doesn't mean nothing... its perfectly legal everywhere unless its neglecting food/water. I say let it go before you make enemies. and get in trouble for trespassing

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:They are tied to a stick, day and night, with no way to get away from the wind, rain, snow, coyotees, or anything else that could harm them. I understand about having to keep them from fighting each other, but shouldn't they have some sort of shelter???

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    First please look at the forum rules -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules

2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!

Many people raise gamebirds for show. It is perfectly normal for them to be kept this way. They are not at all like our fat domestic roosters. They don't normally learn to get along and live together. This is a must when raising these birds properly.

Not everyone plans to do bad things with gamebirds.

Please don't foist bad opinions on good people who raise good birds.​

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Game roosters instinct is to fight each other, thats why they keep them tied, so they wont kill or injure each other. The housing is fine for them. They arent neccisarily using them for fighting. An A frame type shelter works fine for them. Ive raised Game chickens in the past and i kept alot of mine housed this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
  8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    they do require some shelter, like anything alive in this world.
    so if no shelter, then not good!

9. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    nm

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Many people raise gamebirds for show. It is perfectly normal for them to be kept this way. They are not at all like our fat domestic roosters. They don't normally learn to get along and live together. This is a must when raising these birds properly.

Not everyone plans to do bad things with gamebirds.

Please don't foist bad opinions on good people who raise good birds.

Yup, i know about the rules. Sorry if i "Crossed the line" was just sorta pointing it out. and its best to actually say it then have to hint around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by