Are Permits needed in St Augustine Fl now?

ChickaABCD

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 4, 2014
Hello everyone, has anyone heard anything about a new "PERMIT" costing $500 to have chickens in St Augustine FL??

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Personally if I were you I'd care less about what some stuck up 'council' says what I can do with my land :/. Here's your area's municode: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10951 Where you'd be interested is chapter 5, article I, sections 5-9 & 5-10.
Sec. 5-9. Fowl—Running at large prohibited.
hyperlink.png

It shall be unlawful for any person, within the corporate limits of the city, to allow or permit any chickens, geese, turkeys, ducks or other live domestic fowls owned by his [him] to stray or to roam upon the public streets or upon private property of any person within the corporate limits of the city.
(Code 1964, § 5-8)
Sec. 5-10. Same—To be kept in enclosure.
hyperlink.png

It shall be the duty of each and every person to keep all chickens, geese, turkeys, ducks and other domestic fowls in an enclosure to be built with such suitable materials as to keep such fowls in the enclosure, such enclosure shall only be situated upon private property.
(Code 1964, § 5-9)

HS Pye

Last edited:
Thanks, I seen the code, and I am pretty sure they are still allowed. But I have heard that there was a possibility that as of a month ago they were going to start accessing a "permit" fee.

Thanks again, I shot off an email earlier seeing how no one answers the phone in St Augustine, I will post my findings if they ever email me back.
thumbsup.gif

Well, this is one of the emails I got back yesterday.

~~There is a permit fee of $550 for chickens in St. Johns County. For more information, please contact the Sheriff's Office, 904-824-8304, and ask for the Agriculture Office for more information. I think this is a new policy and I am unable to find any other information. I have left a message for the Ag person to call me but I have not heard back from him. I will forward any additional info when received. -----Original Message----- From: Ricky Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 3:42 PM To: Beau Phillips; Frontdesk Subject: Contact Us Form

So it looks like there is a permit fee now, but, like the greedy government, NO ONE can find a paper trail on it. I would love to know who gets the $550, and what constitutes that high of an amount??

hmm.png

It's big government who wants your money :/. Like I said earlier, I could care less about what some people (that I elected...) have to say about what I can and can't do with my land.

HS Pye

I live in st augustine fl. For 15 years we had hens without a permit because we were zoned open rural. We moved 2 blocks away and were told that because the new place is not zoned open rural, we can not have hens. That was three years ago. Has anyone looked into this permit thing?

Well, this is one of the emails I got back yesterday.

~~There is a permit fee of $550 for chickens in St. Johns County. For more information, please contact the Sheriff's Office, 904-824-8304, and ask for the Agriculture Office for more information. I think this is a new policy and I am unable to find any other information. I have left a message for the Ag person to call me but I have not heard back from him. I will forward any additional info when received. -----Original Message----- From: Ricky Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 3:42 PM To: Beau Phillips; Frontdesk Subject: Contact Us Form

So it looks like there is a permit fee now, but, like the greedy government, NO ONE can find a paper trail on it. I would love to know who gets the $550, and what constitutes that high of an amount??

hmm.png

So, I would love to know if you ever got any further with this... ??

Back
Top Bottom