1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are "pinchings from the garden (radishes) ok for 41/2 wk olds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alecia, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Alecia

Alecia Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    Fallentimber, PA
    I just pinched off some of my radish plants and they look like they might be a good snack for my RIR chicks. The chicks have eaten meal worms and bread as a snack already. I have given them grass clippings as well. I want them to have some variety but I wonder am I doing too much too soon? I also wondered if seedless grapes cut in half would be alright. I turn to all of you experts who are so wise in the way of chickens. You have all helped me so much already.

Any and all insight would be welcome.

Signed.

Pushing the envelope in Fallentimber

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I'm sure they would be fine...

3. Alecia

May 25, 2007
    Fallentimber, PA
    Thanks MayberrySaint, I thought they would be ok, just wanted to double check I guess.
    I feel like such a novice now that I've actually got chicks on my back porch. They all seem to be doing well and I have a special girl that sits on either my shoulder or my knee any time that I go in to see how they are doing in their new coop. It's the coop before the "BIG" one outside. The big coop is still under construction. Anyway, thanks again!!

Alecia

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They should be good to go, just make sure they have some dirt/grit to eat to digest it all.

5. Alecia

May 25, 2007
    Fallentimber, PA
    I'm confused about grit. One person tells me that they don't need it until they are 10wks old and very often I see, in different posts, that they should be getting grit as early as 4 to 5 weeks. To be on the safe side, I bought 3 lbs of starter grit but am only putting very little, less than a tablespoon, in their daily ration. They are on medicated starter feed. Is that enough? I feed twice a day and mix the tablespoon between the two feedings. Update: they were terrifed of the chopped up greens, but thought the grapes were some kind of bug so they ate them. These were seedless grapes.

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Here's the rule of thumb regarding grit...
    1. If they are on a 100% only starter diet, they do not need any grit. It contains it in the formula.
    2. If they are getting any treats, it is advisable to make sure they have access to grit. Especially soft treats like grass clippings, etc. that may get impacted in the crop. The grit will help the treat get ground up and pass through to the rest of the digestive sysytem.
    3. If the birds have access to an outside run or free-range, they probably do not need any grit. They will pick up small grains of sand or dirt or pebbles and that is natural grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by