Are plums okay for hens to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caralouise1974, Mar 20, 2009.

1. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

My recently recovering poorly BO is very particular indeed about what she will eat, and today I discovered that she really likes over-ripe plums!

She won't touch broccoli (our bluebelle on the other hand adores it) and it's great to find a relatively healthy 'fresh' alternative.

They both turned their beaks up at me when I tried bananas and live yoghurt ('fussy and spoilt' is my husband's verdict!).

I know citrus and avocado aren't good for them, but can't find anything telling me a definitive answer for plums.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. caralouise1974

Are plums called something different in the US? I have a feeling they might be! Sorry.

Still, has anyone got any ideas if they're okay for the chooks?

3. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    Mine love plums and grapes.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

mine like plums, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc. They're icked out by bananas, it's like they can't get them wiped off their beaks fast enough! [​IMG] They positively gorged themselves on windfall pears last year; they had fat full crops all the time!

1 person likes this.
  5. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    Mine love grapes, raisins, strawberries, apples, pears, but I always remove the seeds when I dice up the apples or pears. Often times, fruit with pits or seeds can have trace ammounts of cyanide in them. I would just make sure that if your plums have pits, remove them.

6. caralouise1974

Fab, thanks for the reassurance everyone!

Will continue with the plums, but will remove the stones before feeding to my beloved fussy Henrietta! [​IMG]

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have 2 plum trees and they will clean up the ground for me where ever a plum may have fallen. and peaches and apples and cherries and blackberries and............20 years ago when planting these fruit trees and bushes, I never thought I would be competing with chickens.[​IMG]

8. silkiechick101

silkiechick101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015

Great[​IMG] thanks but chickens can't have grapes

9. puss58

puss58 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Union Vale, NY
    Why do you say chickens can't have grapes? Mine love them.

1 person likes this.
  10. arobbins

arobbins New Egg

Jun 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by