Are plums okay for hens to eat?

caralouise1974

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Evesham, Worcestershire, UK
My recently recovering poorly BO is very particular indeed about what she will eat, and today I discovered that she really likes over-ripe plums!

She won't touch broccoli (our bluebelle on the other hand adores it) and it's great to find a relatively healthy 'fresh' alternative.

They both turned their beaks up at me when I tried bananas and live yoghurt ('fussy and spoilt' is my husband's verdict!).

I know citrus and avocado aren't good for them, but can't find anything telling me a definitive answer for plums.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mine like plums, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc. They're icked out by bananas, it's like they can't get them wiped off their beaks fast enough!
big_smile.png
They positively gorged themselves on windfall pears last year; they had fat full crops all the time!

Mine love grapes, raisins, strawberries, apples, pears, but I always remove the seeds when I dice up the apples or pears. Often times, fruit with pits or seeds can have trace ammounts of cyanide in them. I would just make sure that if your plums have pits, remove them.

I have 2 plum trees and they will clean up the ground for me where ever a plum may have fallen. and peaches and apples and cherries and blackberries and............20 years ago when planting these fruit trees and bushes, I never thought I would be competing with chickens.
lau.gif

mine like plums, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.  They're icked out by bananas, it's like they can't get them wiped off their beaks fast enough!  /img/smilies/big_smile.png  They positively gorged themselves on windfall pears last year; they had fat full crops all the time!

Great
1f60a.png
thanks but chickens can't have grapes

Back
Top Bottom