1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Plymouth rocks heat hardy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickengoober, Jul 21, 2011.

1. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    Just a quick question, how heat tolerant are plymouth rocks? if they are at all? I've heard they are very good in cold climates, but what about in the heat of central texas. Thanks [​IMG]

2. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I live in central Arkansas and you know we get HOT too!!! [​IMG] I have one Barred Plymouth Rock Roo and he has been fine so far. His run is 60% shaded and I put ice in the water every so often but he seems to be fine. Does not pant like some of the other breeds.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I've got 7 young production barred Rocks in an outside pen, and they've been doing fine. It's been in the 90s for the better part of the week where I live (supposed to be in the 100s today with the heat index). I just make sure that they have plenty of water and shade.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbor has 2 and they survived 120 heat index this past week. I'm pretty sure they are heat hardy.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they are, generally. They seem to do better than even my Delawares, who are white.

7. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    It's been in the 100s lately. They lay around a lot. But they seem spunky as usual when they seen me coming. Now my Cochins on the other hand...lol. They look miserable

8. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    Thank you for all your replies. With this awful heat-wave going on added to the usual summer heat and humidity I wanted to be sure my future flock will be cool and comfy [​IMG].
    I see many frozen treats and iced waterbottles in my future!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by