Are Plymouth Rocks mean?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacqdiva, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I have read the BPR roos are mean and that in general the breed is standoffish. I have four chicks from a breeder, and I must say they are all so cheeky and self confident. They fly up and perch on or near me as I stand at my juvenile cage. As soon as I open up the lid of their suspended cage their they are lining up to get cuddled. So what is very one else's experience. Maybe the roos are mean but so far they are all cuddly food or not! U bought them unsexed... Any ideas on that score???:/

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I have had a few aggressive roos. Not as many as RIR though (I've had some RIRs that were just plain mean). I would call RIR an aggressive breed. PR I would call "confident." Some roos just get a little too confident, but that really depends on the individual. I've had many PRs and have been pleased overall with the breed. They're not painful to look at either. (Partridge and Barred are my favorites [​IMG])

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I will see how the roos develope. Don't even know what I've got yet, but they are fun.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I have had a number of Barred Plymouth Rocks over the years, and they are usually a pretty docile breed (not to Australorp, Orpington, or Silkie standards, but more so than RIRs). Only rarely have I had one that was aggressive enough that I had to cull it from the flock.

5. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Appreciate the feedback.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by