1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are POLISH CRESTEDS really lazy layers or do I have a DUD?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kgaddis, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Kgaddis

Kgaddis New Egg

Nov 4, 2011
    She layed for about a month and then nothing for 3 months... She isn't broody, the flock of other breeds is laying and healthy so disease and diet are ruled out. I'm assuming that several animal species can be infertile and so must be this chicken. Any thoughts?

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    How old is she? I have noticed that sometimes when my pullets first start to lay it can be sporadic...on and off for awhile until their bodies get the hang of it. Or maybe she is molting? Or perhaps something is stressing her out. Or, maybe she is just a sneky hen and is hiding her eggs from you somewhere. I have a lot of polish hens, and they lay very well for me. About 4 eggs per week per hen. Hopefully your hen will pick up for you.

3. Kgaddis

Kgaddis New Egg

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks DancingHen, She is 6months old now, so I think she is well in to her laying age, but I may be mistaken. I'm not sure what would stress her out that the other hens aren't bothered by but it's a thought. I know she spent a lot of time being held by my daughter when she was younger, I'm not sure she even knows she is a chicken. Maybe reality is stressing her out! Can the color of her eggs change? I've assumed she quit since there are no longer white eggs in the boxes.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Egg color doesn't change. From my experience most hatchery-based Polish begin at the normal 5-6 months of age. They're not lazy layers either. Infertility doesn't mean she won't lay though.

Honestly, not sure what to say your issue is. [​IMG]

5. Kgaddis

Kgaddis New Egg

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe she knew I was talking about her, she layed two eggs since yesterday! Perhaps she recalled what happened to the rooster and realized Thanksgiving was coming! They are the cutest little eggs.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since Polish have been bred primarily for 'pretty' rather than for egg production, there is great variability in their egg laying.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I was lucky to get one egg a week from my Polish.

But when she laid an egg, it was HUMONGOUS (didn't fit in the egg carton)!

[​IMG]

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    My Polish also lays enormous eggs, much bigger than what I expected from her - she's not that big of a chicken! She is currently 'taking a break' following a molt, but usually lays pretty regularly, though not every day.

9. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Polish are prolific white egg layers I've.never owned large fowl but with bantams I got an egg a day from ea of my hens and pullets with little to no breaks in between [​IMG]

Health and diet affect laying cycles try feeding more greens
    Also check for parasites [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Sorry but that's a common serious misconception.

Show Quality
    Polish are bred to be pretty like any other show quality breed.

MOST Polish are bred for production like most other common chickens, otherwise hatcheries wouldn't sell as much, and thus take them off their program or change them to be more productive.`

Half the common hatchery Polish out there aren't that "pretty" anyway [​IMG] (when comparing to the ones bred to be "pretty") Considering their small, stringy, and/or lopsided crests, their common trait of big spurs in hens, their common occurrence of skinny and small bodies, and their common occurrence of very high tail sets which actually bring out the gamey appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by