Are polish easy targets for bullies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gabbyscritters, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Do Polish tend to get picked on often? My 9 year old is all upset because one of her bantam polish pullets is getting picked on. The poor girls head is half naked. We thought it would be ok when she sold off her surplus roosters but it started again and the poor things head was just starting to recover. Both of her polish hens are seperated now but it is only in a cage. She has decided that it is probably best to find them a new home,they were from Duane Urch and are very tame and sweet. The other breeds are not aggresive birds but the polish seem to be way on the bottom of the pecking order.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have heard that is quite common. My Polish chickens were raised with my main flock, since hatch; and I have never had that problem. I understand that it is quite difficult to add a Polish to an existing flock, with results as you describe. I guess the others just don't like that floppy dooo! Another theory I heard was that due to the big white crest, it makes them more obvious/susceptible to hawks and the like. So, the others instinctively try to get them out of the way, so to speak.

Good luck.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    They really do seem to do better with other Polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by