1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Polish hens meant to be noisy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by az85, Jul 7, 2016.

1. az85

az85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    hi i hatched 6 polish around two months ago and have mainly blacks and whites however i have a lovely grey with a white crest, and ive always assumed shes a she as she has a very prominent round full crest, but shes started to make what sounds like crowing noises and im just stumped as to how this could be as i can see i have obvious roo's with stringier crests etc. i was just wondering is it possible for her to be a she and shes just immitating my other roo's? thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It sounds like a hen. A photo would help confirm or deny it. Polish tend to be noisy rancorous birds, prone to screeches and loud vocalizations, though I've never had a hen sound like a rooster crow.

3. az85

az85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    these are the best i could get. hope you can give me a good answer!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It does appear to be a hen, looks just like mine did. Polish can be odd birds so it doesn't surprise me that she's making weird noises. She's very pretty.

5. az85

az85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    thanks very much x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by