Are polish roosters aggressive?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mickey Lou 04, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Are polish rooster generally more aggressive? How are they with other roosters?

I have had a polish rooster but he was pretty good, but I want to make sure he wasn't one in million.

Thanks in advance,
    Mickey Lou 04

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Polish are usually good. The only concern I would have with them is the top hat. Some of them (not all) need to be trimmed for proper vision so they can protect the flock.

3. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    Okay, thanks.

I am not concerned with flock protection as much as I mind how they are towards people.

Okay one more question...... My roo was super gentle with the ladies. Is that normal for the breed?

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes, it is. Good luck with your new rooster!

5. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    Okay thanks!

6. TeacherMedic

TeacherMedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    NC
    I did an internet search on this because mine attacked me yesterday. He was flocking my legs because I went in the coop to collect eggs. I think he has to move on. He is a white crested black.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    In any breed there is great variability in behavior. Some will be very aggressive, some very gentle. I have found in judging Polish that they generally tend to be gentle but there have been the exceptions that have made me bleed.

1 person likes this.
  8. TeacherMedic

TeacherMedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    NC
    I about went off on him. My husband had to come and save me, I couldn't get out the door because he kept flogging me. I didn't want him to get out and get into it with our free range rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by