Are Polish roosters supposed to be spastic?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ballfarm, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ballfarm

ballfarm New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    Burlington NC
    Hello All, This is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right. I have, what I believe to be, a golden polish rooster. I call him Mo - since he looked like he had a mohawk when he was younger. He is almost 5 months old now. He was the "exotic" chicken McMurray Hatchery threw in the box. He is gorgeous! But so spastic! He is a loner. He is easily spooked and you can't get close to him, even though his feathers are all in his eyes. I have 3 Barred Rock Roos that tend to pick on him. The hens (there's 30 of them) don't pay him much attention to him. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? My husband thinks we should seperate him from the flock. What do you think?

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Mine is! if you trim the feathers so he can see, he'll be more confident. It worked for our 23 week old buff laced guy.

3. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Wow ballfarm, were neighbors!!!!! What part of burlington do you live in? I doubt your doing anything wrong, just trim his feathers a little bit.

4. ballfarm

ballfarm New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    Burlington NC
    Thanks for the help! [​IMG] Mo is going to get a feathercut! We are located off of HWY 62 near the Caswell Cty border.......where are you located peeps 7? How long have you had chickens?

5. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I live in G-ville. I haven't had chickens very long but I'm know my stuff pretty well.

6. ballfarm

ballfarm New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    Burlington NC
    Quote:The trip to g-ville is beatiful. I went thru the college one time...ate a really good mexican restaurant. having chickens has been a great experience for my whole family! they are fun to watch....we had our first egg on 10/06/2007 my son was so proud...is it ok to eat the first egg? it seems like a normal egg just smaller......

7. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    It is perfectly fine to eat the first egg!!!!! I'd love to see some of your chickens. I'll post some pics of mine if you want me to.

8. ballfarm

ballfarm New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    Burlington NC
    I'd love to see your chickens! I have some pics of my flock.......but I'm not sure how to get the images on here.....yet

9. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    O.k!!! I'll post pics. Hold on for a few minutes.

10. ballfarm

ballfarm New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    Burlington NC
    :(Sorry peeps7 I don't think I will be able to share my pics from work.......my network administrater won't let me upload anything not even an avatar...gotta love corporate america...i'll try tonight from my home pc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by