Are porcelain and mille fluer colors compatable?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 8, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have some mille fleur d'uccles, and have 2 porcelain chicks that I hatched recently. The 2 chicks are about 5 or 6 weeks old, and appear to be both pullets [​IMG]. As stated, I do have some mille fleurs as well, along with some black mottleds. I was wondering if the porcelains would be all right to keep with the mille fleurs, color-wise, or if I should look for a porcelain roo? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along--translation, don't take my word for this [​IMG]-- but I believe that porcelain is mille fluer that has been dilluted by the self-blue (lav) gene. So...if you bred your porcelain hens to a mille fluer roo (and assuming that your mille roo isn't carrying a copy of the lav gene--it takes 2 copies to become visual (porcelain)), the resulting offspring would visually be milles, but would be splits--that is, carrying a copy of the lav gene. So, you could put a mille roo from that breeding back over your porcelain hens and the result would be approximately 50% porcelain and 50% mille (split).

Seriously though, don't take my word on any of that. [​IMG] But maybe my posting will bump it up so someone who knows more than I do will see it.

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I got a genetics question right? [​IMG]

Apparently I've been paying more attention than I thought. [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Hooray Crunchie! [​IMG] And you explained it very well also!

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I saved it in my favorites [​IMG]

7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Crunchie,
    Good understanding, maybe you don't need my book.LOL
    David

8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Ok, on similar lines..
    I just acquired a trio of (probably hatchery bred) Mille Fluers. The roo and one pullet are the normal orangey color with the white and black markings. One pullet is orangey with white but instead of black, the other markings are grey (blue?), did this happen possibly because of a breeding involving a porcelain, or is there some other explaination? She's really quite cute with her faded accents.
    TIA!

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

One pullet is orangey with white but instead of black, the other markings are grey (blue?), did this happen possibly because of a breeding involving a porcelain, or is there some other explaination? She's really quite cute with her faded accents.

Sounds like blue mille fleur, with blue diluting the black pigment......very nice. [​IMG]
    Not porcelain. Porecelain is lavender & mille fleur; the lavender dilutes both red & black pigment.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by