Are possems more of a threat

fl_deb

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
to eggs or to the chickens?

I know I have a possem running around as I have seen it less than 50 feet from the coop.

But, was wondering if they just eat eggs???

thanks for your help,

Deb

Possum's Will Kill almost all chickens and eat them!!! They are very bad! They carry all kinds or nasty deseases aswell! They can be very viscious when cornered. Be careful! They are alot stronger than you think. They will shred chicken wire!

I would exterminate ASAP! But thats just my Opinion

Good Luck and God Bless!

Opossums have quite a few sharp teeth and a couple that are long and dangerous. They also don't have a lot of fear.

And if you think they are Dead They Probally Are Not. Go in the house and get the Thing You Kill with UM Like a .22 Yea Some thing Like that and you won't Have to think if they are Dead You will Know:thumbsup

I had a possum in my main coop a few months ago - he was attacking all of the chickens. No eggs anywhere, I had collected them. Sad to do it, but after several tries to get him out I had to shoot him.

They can climb, be sure all upper areas are well protected.

sickbyc.gif
OMG! I did not realize they were that much like raccoons! Thank you all for your help!

Thankfully my coop is all hardware cloth, but I will definitely be doing some SSS work in the next couple of nights!

I don't like killing wildlife, but just want my girls to be safe and it sounds like the opossum won't stop looking for a way to have a free chicken dinner or share their pests/diseases with my chickens from crawling all over their coop trying to find a way in..

I can't tell one opossum from another, so are there usually more than 2?

I assume if I got 1, I have at least 2.

Or are they so territorial, that a couple is all for say, a 1/2 mile radius?

Just want to know how deep a hole I need to dig.

barnie.gif

Look - If your coop is built well please don't kill the local wildlife. Yes, opossums have a lot of sharp teeth. They will get nasty if cornered but wouldn't anyone? Do you have any weak spots in your enclosure and are you able to patch those up? Might be easier to do that than keep up with killing all the local nocturnal potential predators.

Quote:
when they are really dead they lose control of their bowels every one I have ever dispatched I have used this bit of info to keep me from getting bit good luck with your birds

Back
Top Bottom