Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happyfeet, Nov 27, 2008.
i have heard that only potato peels are toxic?
From what I understand, it is only RAW potatoes that are bad. Mine have eaten cooked regular and sweet potatoes with no harm done. In fact, this morning they even had a few left over tater tots with their breakfast. They seemed to like them just fine.
I don't think even raw potatoes are toxic if they don't eat a pound of them, though they'd likely have a tummy ache. Mine eat leftover cooked in the skin taters all the time. They really love fingerlings.
Green - just like for people . . . and cooking doesn't neutralize the solanine in green potatoes. The potato sprouts are bad, too. Finally, it isn't the green itself but that's the indicator of the solanine.
Potatoes Turning Green
A search will turn up this subject discussed many, many times here in this forum.
That's all I know .
edited to say that I often feed a few cooked potato peels to the chickens
I was reading in several places that even to goats, its the plants that are toxic, being a member of the nightshade family.
If they were poisonous then my chickens would have died long ago.