Are probiotics for dogs safe for chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sphillips, Jul 22, 2013.

1. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    At least one of my hens has been having rust colored loose poo. I switched them to feeder/grower a few weeks ago, but same brand as they had before, so not sure that's the issue. After doing some research, I'm thinking it may be ecoli. I read to treat with probiotics. I have a really good powder probiotic that I give to my Great Dane everyday, which has all the good bacteria in it. Would it be safe to try on my chickens? Also, if not, how much yogurt can/should I give them? Is it still safe to eat the eggs?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I give my flock probotics all the time but I use Probios.its for animals. I know its safe. I couldn't comment on other probotics but probios is wonderful! It has so much more benifical bacteria in it than yougart does! You can order it online for around 12 dollars. just look up probios for chickens. I swear by it.I hope this helps. Best wishes

3. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    How much do you give, and how do you give it? I mix the probiotics for my dog in his food each day, but it gets water added to it. Is there a way to give it so that they all get some? I have 30 chickens.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The probios is given in the drinking water very easy! I give about a teaspoon in their water and it comes with a measurer. Is very easy to give it to the whole flock this way. Hope this helps.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by