Are quail chicks always this hard to raise?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Elliebeans, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Elliebeans

Elliebeans Chirping

Aug 5, 2019
    Or am I doing something wrong?
    I hatched out 19 Japanese quail chicks a bit over 3 weeks ago and have lost 9 since then. Including 2 overnight. They didn't look sick before they died. I just found them after work or in the morning dead.
    They are kept inside and have a mother hen brooder plate for heat. Fed on game bird starter and fresh water daily.

2. Elliebeans

Elliebeans Chirping

Aug 5, 2019
    Oops, using my phone and somehow posted before finishing. Here is a photo of the set up. The bedding only went in this morning. Before that I was using the puppy trainer pads changed daily.

Attached Files:

mixedUPturk and Kiki like this.
  3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    @Kiki can help you out or will know someone who can. She has raised many quail!

mixedUPturk and Kiki like this.
  4. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    I had a japanese hen go broody and hatch out 10 chicks. Three of those chicks are still alive. They have such large clutches for this reason. It could be poor genes in your parent birds, or fluctuations during incubation. The larger the clutches, the more competition between chicks meaning the weaker chicks get left behind. Hopefully someone else can give their advice.

5. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Where is the food?
    Did you smash or crunch up the food to make sure it's small enough for them to eat?
    I don't know anything about your heat source but are you sure it is not too hot?

R2elk and mixedUPturk like this.
  6. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Also... Can you take a few pictures of some fresh poop?

R2elk and mixedUPturk like this.
  7. Elliebeans

Elliebeans Chirping

Aug 5, 2019
    No food in the pic, I took it straight after cleaning the cage. I was grinding it with a mortar and pestle until recently and they've been eating it. They have pretty healthy appetites. I'll try raising the heat pad. I had it the same as I would for chicken chicks.

Kiki and FortCluck like this.
  8. Headhen3

Headhen3 Chirping

Sep 12, 2017
    Medina OH
    I kept about 500 quail chicks for a neighbor. Only lost about 50 mostly due to crowding. Neighbor did the set up that was used. Kept heat lamps on and fed game bird starter. I thought it was easy and they do eat like there is no tomorrow. When he had them at his house in a different set up he lost at least a third. They have to be able to move in and out of the heat to what temp they are comfortable at. Need water changed out so it is fresh. That’s all I know about it.

9. muddy75

muddy75 Free Ranging

Aug 17, 2018
    southern indiana
    approximately what ages did you lose them? quail chicks are very dumb and can be creative in suicide....I found with a brooder plate that some would not come out to eat or would not be able to find their way back to the heat. The #1 cause of death is typically wetness, another big cause is pile-ups, failure to thrive, neurological problems either from hatch defect or hitting their head, and sometimes just no logical reason at all

mixedUPturk, Quailobsessed and Kiki like this.
  10. Floof

Floof Songster

Sep 28, 2015
    I've never lost that many from such a small hatch. The ones I have lost were obvious causes. I had a few with splay legs and 1 I dropped a heat lamp on when changing the bedding (I still feel bad about that one...). Its unusual for them to just keel over. You could try adding some vitamin drops to their water. Where were they when they died? Are they dying under the heat or in a cooler corner? Is it possible that you have a mean or aggressive one causing trauma when you aren't there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: